Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sword Buyers Guide Reviewer Profile: Midori Kawakami

Reviewer Profile: Midori Kawakami

                                       

Name: Midori T. Kawakami

Age:  28
Collecting Since:  Knives: Some time in 1987; Swords: Summer of 1998


Customized Kris Cutlery Katana

Why I Collect: Ever since I was very young, I've always had a fascination with world history and mythology. Of course there is a direct correlation between the advancement of civilization and the development and use of weaponry. Swords, to me, are the apex of this development. Over the eons, they have conquered nations, kept the order and dethroned tyrants, to name a few of their varied and colorful accomplishments. Alexander the Great didn't conquer his vast empire with guns, after all.

But with the advancements in metallurgy came advancements in society; codes of honor and conduct to live by. The men and women who lived by the sword were noble and adhered to high moral and ethical codes, such as Chivalry and Bushido. They fought the holy wars of their day and defended their homes from those they believed would harm their land and their way of life. Swords have been fundamental, like a sharpened key, to advancing civilization. No other weapon has held so much sway for so long as the sword has, and it continues to be a symbol of this--the hopes, fears and dreams of a species--to this day.


Source: http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/파일:Seven-Branched-Sword.jpg

Swords have played every bit as large a role in mythology and folklore as in history. It is said in an old Shinto legend that the Goddess dipped her blade into the ocean and the water droplets that fell from it became the islands of Nihon (Japan). Even now, some temples in Japan keep swords enshrined in them. They are typically average sized swords (though some are huge) made specifically for use by the gods.


The Norimitsu Temple Sword, Forged in 1447. Source: http://japantrip.tripod.com/nodachi/norimitsu.html 

The Mabinogion speaks of the quest of Kulhwch to win the hand of Olwen. One of the tasks set before him and his party was to procure the sword from Wrnach the Giant, with the help of his cousin, King Arthur. Kei, a friend of Arthur, pretended to be a craftsman and approached the giant, offering to polish his sword. Kei then polished Wrnachs' sword before killing the giant with it.

And there are many more such tales, both old and new. Far too many to reasonably list here, and all worth researching.

Another, simpler reason is that I've always been interested in martial arts and have always been attracted to shiny things, but not the shiny things most girls are attracted to. I could really care less about jewelry and clothing et cetera, but show me a Juyo Token in art polish and I go weak in the knees. Of course, my knowledge of swords wasn't always as extensive as it is now and the more I learn the more I realize I really don't know. I must credit much of my knowledge to my fiancé, as he is a man possessed and obsessed when it comes to swords and their histories. We are a match made in sharp, pointy heaven.



The iaitos my fiancé and I use.

My Collection:


One of my early attempts at an 'artsy' sword photo. Pictured top to bottom: Bugei Bamboo, Shinshinto Wakizashi, Japanese-made Iaito, Practical Plus Wakizashi

Note: This list encompasses both my collection and that of my fiancé, as they share space as we do and we share them. I will note the ones that truly belong to each of us, as there are a few we're rather possessive over.

Rittersteel Odachi

Unidentified Adorable Tiny Tanto (Midoris)

Hanwei Antiqued Swept Hilt Rapier (Midoris)

Four Japanese-made Iaito (Two of which are customized)

Bushido Demigod Katana: Customized

Hanwei Practical Plus Tanto: Customized

Hanwei Nami Iaito: Customized (Midoris)

Dynasty Forge Okatana: Customized (Kevins)

Bugei Bamboo Katana: In the process of restroation (Midoris)

Oni Forge Bushi (Midoris; will be customized)

Last Legend Field Mark IV: Customized (Kevins)

Kris Cutlery Folded Katana: Customized (Midoris)

Shinshinto Wakizashi: In the process of restoration (Midoris)

Yoroi Doshi Made by Shannon Boyles on SFI (Kevins)

Chubby Little Tanto made by Shannon Boyles on SFI (Midoris)

Many bits and pieces of antique koshirae sets (Not a sword obviously, but it is sword furniture)

Many other assorted knives, weaponry, armor and training equipment; of note is a particularly gnarly set of gauntlets with claws on the fingers and spikes on the backs of the hands.






Pending:

Custom Wakizashi from Shannon Boyles of SFI

Kensei Satsuma Odachi

Two Pavel Bolf Katana

Munetoshi Kumo Katana

(We have apparently sold off more of our swords than I realized! Time to expand again!)

My Wish List: I want two of every bladed weapon ever made; an antique and a modern, functioning reproduction of it!

Also high on my list are fine Nihonto, custom made blades, a well-made unokubi zukuri (in honor of my sensei) and some well made Euros, as I don't have nearly enough of them. I'd love a few ATrims and some work by Brenno of Fableblades, as his swords are exquisite and extraordinary.

Also very big wants: Dynasty Forge, Kensei, well-made Filipino blades.

All I really want out of any sword, save for historical accuracy and proper shaping, is that they perform as they should, are generally attractive and are reasonably priced. I will make price exceptions for a few things (customs, well-preserved Nihonto); to date, I have not had to compromise on this point.

About My Reviews: I feel that I am in a rather unique position; I used to work for a sword manufacturer and vendor and have had the opportunity to handle literally thousands of blades. If I had any questions as to how a sword performs, is shaped, or if it is a good value for the money, all I had to do is pull the sword in question from our warehouse shelves and play with it for a while.  As an iaidoka, fencer and collector, I am a harsh critic and feel I hold myself and the blades that pass through my hands to a very high standard. I truly hate to see someone get a real stinker of a sword when I personally know they can have much better for the same (or very close) price. I look at swords with a very critical eye when considering one for purchase, or one to recommend to someone.  I would never recommend anything I would not use myself to someone willing to listen.


Old Warriors at the Dojo

 I realize that my reviews could potentially save people a lot of money, but I also realize that they could cost people money as well, and feel there are ethical standards that must be met and a harsh honesty that must be doled out in these reviews. I do my best to meet those standards with every review I write, even meeting pieces I truly love with a very critical eye. I want the people who read my reviews to know exactly what to expect from the sword in question before they take the plunge so that they will be happy with whatever they do purchase in the end.

Hopefully my reviews will entertain, perhaps educate and possibly help those looking for a sword but not knowing exactly what they want or maybe not knowing what to look for.

                                       

Edo-era tsuba from my collection

Review Index:

Munetoshi T-10 "Kigan" Review

Munetoshi Korean Sword "Yuki" Review

Munetoshi T-10 Sword, "Light Cutter" Review

Hanwei Practical Plus Wakizashi Review

Hanwei Nami Iaito Review

Japanese Mogito Review

A Review for April Fools

Review: The Bugei Bamboo (Part One)

                                

This is where we used to live...

Sincerely,
                                          

Me and my girl Freya, not long after we rescued her.

Midori T. Kawakami
Snakewoman, madwoman, swordswoman and 'sword snob'

For more information, please visit SBG Sword Forums

No comments:

Post a Comment